Professor, Doctor of Science
Chief research fellow
Center for African Studies in the Department of Regional Studies,
Institute of World History, Russian Academy of Sciences
Specialist’s degree in history in 1975 with a dissertation on Ugandan national historiography.
1975-1978 - Institute of World History of the then USSR Academy of Sciences, post-graduate student.
1980 - Ph.D. with the dissertation on transformation of traditional institutions in Uganda under colonialism.
1994 - second doctoral (Dr. of Science) degree with the dissertation on the history of German settlers’ community in SWA/Namibia since 1862 to 1990.
Positions1980 – present day : junior researcher, researcher, senior researcher, leading researcher, main researcher - Institute of World History of the Russian Academy of Sciences
1990-2012 : part-time associate professor, professor - Oriental College of Moscow Lomonossow University
2010 – present day: part-time professor, State University of Humanities at the Russian Academy of Sciences.
- African Rulers and Chiefs in Uganda . Evolution of Traditional Rulers under Colonialism). 1862-1962. Moscow, 1986, 276 p.- in Russian.
- Civilizers in the country of savages? Formation and Evolution of German Settlers’ Community in SWA/Namibia). 1814-1990. Moscow, 1996, 282 p. - in Russian
- Archival Sources in Swahili on Modern and Contemporary history of Africa in German Archives. Moscow, 2002, 69 p. – in Russian and Swahili.
- Through Africa in search of Russia. Traveler’s notes of a Historian. Moscow, 2004 and 2012, 146 p. - in Russian
- Modern and contemporary History of Tropical and Southern Africa . Moscow, 2008, 272 p. - in Russian
- Black Africa and Europe: some aspects of encounter of cultures under colonial rule. Moscow, 2015, 220 p. - in Russian
- Black Africa: past and Present. Moscow, 2016, 688 p. Editor-in-chief and author of 12 paragraphs. - in Russian
- Modern and Contemporary History of Namibia. Together with A.V.Pritvorov and S.A.Slipchenko. Moscow, 1993, 255 p. - in Russian.
- At the Great African Lakes. Monarchs and Presidents of Uganda. Moscow, 1989, 208 p. - in Russian.(English translation prepared for print in Africa)
About 200 articles on African history, Soviet and Russian historiography of Africa and Soviet-African relations.